5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Freak Out Over Facebook’s Advertising Transparency Changes
Facebook is making some major advertising transparency changes. Soon, people will be able to see ALL the ads a Facebook or Instagram Page is running. If you advertise strategically, you likely have certain ads that you are creating for specific Facebook or Instagram users, such as past purchasers, key consumer personas or local audiences. Knowing that all of your ads will soon be viewable to the public sounds scary. But, we’re here to tell you not to freak out. Here are 5 reasons why:
1) This won’t be retroactive, it’s really about moving forward
2) Only active ads (ads that are currently running) will be shown
3) This feature doesn’t surface an ad’s targeting, budget or spend
4) From a competitive intelligence standpoint this does mean that brands will be able to really see what others are doing and learn from them
5) These changes won’t be rolled out in the U.S. until summer. It’s currently being tested in Canada, which gives you a chance to see how the changes will be implemented
So rest easy, because for most brands, these ad transparency updates will only warrant a minor change in advertising strategy, or possibly no change at all.